Been a busy few days. Seems like that's going to become a popular opening blog-post line. On Sunday, a bunch of us in the program met up by the ocean side. A lot of the kids live in L'Ocean section of Rabat. I live in Dyour Jamaa. The ocean side was beautiful. We were there right when the sun was setting. Morocco is a hotspot for surfing, turns out.
Monday was the first day of classes. Every morning, all of us have Modern Standard Arabic at 8:30. This means Kelcey (we live with the same host family) and I have to leave our apartment by 7:50 in order to get to school on time. We walk. I eat oranges and bananas on the way. Craving fruits ALL the time now. I will experiment soon to see what else I can eat here that I was allergic to in the States. I am hoping I have growin out of my allergy altogether. It would be quite disappointing to find that it's a difference in the fruits from each country rather than my biological reaction.
Anyway, after Arabic, we all have Moroccan Arabic (darijha). Then, I have Contemporary Moroccan Culture. My other classes are Gender, Women & Islam and the Islamic World & the West. What's so great about AMIDEAST (my program) is that ALL the faculty are AMAZING. I've never felt so indecisive about classes on the basis of ALL the teachers being so appealing.
I have a feeling my bedtime is going to be around 10 PM, 10:30 everynight. Big change from GW, where it was a feat to be in bed before the AM.
They have paprika flavored Pringles here that are delicious! I am going to go buy a water from the small store next door before my next class. On a more awkward note, some tree sap fell onto my head almost 5 days ago and it STILL has not come out.
Bislaama!
Tuesday, January 19, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment