Monday, April 5, 2010

Spain

I am tan. Actually, more like…browner. Dark chocolate, if you will.

Madrid and Canary Islands = great spring break. It was very relaxing. We had a lot of:



and went here a lot:




Look! Black volcanic sand!



and stayed at (after we almost got stuck on a hostel farm!):



Only bummer was having my wallet stolen on my first night in Madrid. Luckily, I am safe and my friends were gracious enough to save me all week. It was surreal meeting up with GW friends in Madrid. I got to see Elyse! And even a few high school friends. It was odd for all of us traveling from Morocco to Spain as we got our first taste of reverse culture shock. Our tongues kept spitting out Arabic words by instinct and the overwhelming smell of ham and pork in Madrid seemed so foreign. It was odd being in a sea of white after being in a sea of brown for so long. I was really looking forward to returning home to my host family and to Morocco. My host mama made us couscous last night for dinner even though it wasn’t Friday! The perfect homecoming gift.

It was so interesting to see traces of Spain's Islamic history hidden here and there. I saw a tajine dish used as decoration in one hotel, random mosaic walls in restaurants, some lattice windows. Other than that, there is no indication that Spain ever used to be a thriving Muslim country. I wish I could have made it to Cordoba or Grenada.

Now it’s all work/work/work until final exams which are in FIVE WEEKS! They don’t lie when they say study abroad goes with the blink of an eye. Also, feeling the pressure of growing up…been apartment scouring for the past month and now have to decide if I am graduating early or not.

More pressing matters include…wedding present shopping for my cousin this week! I am flying out to Wales in two weeks for Noreen baji’s wedding and can’t wait. I only get to see this side of the family every other year. Nani Ama, cousins, uncles, aunts….! England!

Starting to realize how little time is left here.

1 comment:

  1. Goldberg-Padder reunion! Madrid can handle the SUPERNOVA.

    ReplyDelete