Monday, March 22, 2010

Azrou

I have fallen in love with it here. This past weekend marked perhaps one of the times I have ever had in my whole life. Hefty statement, I know. But it's pretty hard to beat a first hike over 3 mountains, waterfalls, wild monkeys, great company...

My traveling group got very lucky - the IES program director, Fouad, is a native of Azrou which is a small Berber town by Fez. He was incredible and took care of us all weekend. Since he knows Azrou like the back of his hand, he led us on our Saturday hike which was indescribably amazing. I hope these pictures do some justice:






Our total hiking distance covered about 13-15 miles. After the hike, Fouad invited us for dinner at his mother's house. Then, knowing I was interested in purchasing some Berber carpets (it's so hard to find good prices when you are not Moroccan), took me to his best friend's store. The store was amazing - full of Berber treasures and handwoven carpets from all over Morocco. Here are two that I bought:



By Saturday night, I would have thought it impossible for the weekend to get any better. The group I traveled with - Clara, Karrie, Cody, Heather - is the dream team of travel. One of the best group dynamics I have ever been a part of. I think we all died at least 3 times each from laughter.

Fouad had even more in store for us on Sunday. Nearby Azrou is a town called Ifrane. It is unlike any other Moroccan city since during the French occupation, the French attempted to model it after a mini-Switzerland. It's full of quaint white houses with red roofs, bubbling springs, waterfall:



After all this, Fouad took us to his grandmother's home, an incredibly energetic Amazigh woman. Not only did he show us Morocco's breadth of nature but also its familial culture.

What I learned this weekend:

- I adore cats.
- A few Amazigh words
- That I can climb mountains

What blows my mind:

How much I still have to look forward to. Spring break starts this Friday - I will be in Madrid and the Canary Islands. Two weeks after I get back, I am flying to Wales for my cousin's wedding. El Jadida the next weekend. Marrakech and Casablanca the week after that. Then two weeks after that...the program is over. My semester abroad will be completed...but only after I take two more weeks to travel to the Sahara Desert for 5 days, then visit Supriya in Egypt for 3, and stay with Aida at her home in Jordan for 5 days before heading home.

March 22nd already...??

1 comment: