I was almost robbed on Friday. Walking home from school at 1 PM when some old guy attempted to get my attention. As has become habit, I ignored him and kept walking.
3 minutes later, I feel pulling on my backpack and turn around to see the pockets unzipped. It's the same guy. I get angry and somehow manage to demand him, in Arabic, to empty his pockets to retrieve anything he may have taken. What blows my mind is that this happened in BROAD DAYLIGHT.
However, the silver lining on the situation is bright for the following reasons:
- I was about a minute away from my apartment and when I got home, visibly upset. My host mother asked what was wrong and what ensued was a very maternal bonding session between us.
- Nothing of mine was taken. The pocket that he had rifled through was the one I usually keep my phone and my wallet however, since I had spent the night before at the dorms in Shaakira's room, I had kept those things in my purse (which I hardly do).
On other exciting notes:
- I have my first stomach virus here. Bad exciting.
- My father reached Haiti safely and is already seeing patients! Good exciting.
Monday, February 22, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1. !!!
ReplyDelete2. Boo virus :(
Sadaf! I am extremely impressed that you were able to demand he empty his pockets. I'm not sure I would be able to even say that in French if I was flustered.
ReplyDeleteAlso, to put things into perspective...we've had between 5-8 on-the-spot cell phone snatchers on campus, 2 of which took place in the middle of the day during classes changing.