Wow, I neglected this blog for a month and the biggest things have happened in that time. Going to write things here because there are some memories I NEVER want to forget.
The goodbyes began about two weeks ago. It was only in my last few days that I realized how many people I had gotten used to seeing everyday – the security men at school, the hnoot guy, the rgaiff men, the front desk workers, the cleaning ladies, the medina boys. Luckily, I am going to be seeing many of the kids from my program this summer. Saying goodbye to my family was surprisingly hard…I really have gotten attached to baby Ashraf and my host mom. It’s an odd thing to say goodbye to people who realize you most likely will never see again. Right now, I know I would love to return to Morocco but reality is bound to hit hard upon returning to America.
Sahara. Quite possibly one of the best times of my life, including one of the best nights of my life. We got to Marrakech last Saturday and were picked up at the station by two Bedouins who would be our incredible tour guides. The next two days was driving to Ourzazate, where the desert began, and seeing amazing sights (gorges, kasbahs, villages) on the way. I became close to Said, our tour guide. He told us all about his life one night as a nomad, moving when the grass became sparse for the animals, living in tents. Now that the tourism industry has boomed, his life is totally different from when he was younger. He never went to school but is one of the smartest people I have ever met – just from interacting with foreigners, he has become fluent in English, French, Spanish and already knew Darijha on top of that.
We spent night 3 in the Sahara Desert, Merzouga. That night, Juj and I drank tea with the Bedouins in Blue and then her and I went stargazing.
It was panoramic – everywhere you turned, stars, stars, stars. It felt as if we were in the sky. And then I saw my first shooting star. And then my second, third, fourth, fifth. I have never seen stars like that in my life. The desert was the perfect way to say goodbye to Morocco.
Next entry: Egypt!
Current location: Amman, Jordan
Monday, May 24, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment